Monday, August 12, 2013

Introduction

The idea behind this blog is very simple: to create and nurture understanding between Christians who have very different opinions.  In an age of loud sound bytes, angry tweets, and argumentative Facebook posts, there is great need for a forum to discuss important issues in a way that generates more light than heat.  It is the hope of the authors of this blog that we may explore the power of ideas without resorting to name calling, beating up straw men, or demonizing those who disagree.

I (Greg Coates) am a Ph D student at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary.  I have a Master of Divinity from Asbury Seminary and a Master of Theology from Duke Divinity School.  I am ordained in the Free Methodist Church and pastored for four years in inner city Indianapolis.  I have a wife and two lovely girls.  You can read more of my thoughts on my own personal blog at <gregcoates.blogspot.com>.

My dialog partner is Jack Chism, professor of management at my alma mater Greenville College, where he has taught for nearly three decades.  I have had a deep respect for Jack and for his sharp intellect ever since taking "Modern Economic History" under him in college.  We have written to one another off and on since I graduated from Greenville ten years ago.  Jack has a Masters in Economics from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville.  He is also a cancer survivor.  See more about him at <http://greenville.edu/academics/faculty_staff/john-chism>.

It occurred to me recently that the ongoing correspondence we have been carrying on might be of interest to other Christians.  This blog is simply a reprint of those letters so that they can be read by you.  Both of us are very interested in politics, economics, and society and both are committed to approaching it from a Christian perspective.  As you will soon see, Jack leans to the right and I lean to the left politically, but we are both committed to the lordship of Jesus Christ.  We are also committed to learning from one another and seeking truth.

After a long hiatus, Jack and I recently renewed our correspondence when I asked him to share his thoughts about a blog post that I wrote.  That post can be found at the following link and will serve to launch this blog:  Should Economics Be Ethical?

No comments:

Post a Comment