The following is written by Jack Chism in his first response to the video and blog I shared with him and with you readers previously.
Hi Greg:
I just got back from a trip and looked at your blog. Much,
much, much to respond to, both in that and in the film.
First, I like your blog much better than the film. The
film is a wonderful work of graphic communication, and very persuasive if you
accept its presuppositions. I'm surprised that its author could process
his argument so well without examining its foundations better than he seems to.
As for your blog, I'm interested in the conflicted spirit you
seem to bring to it. You want to look at both sides of an argument by
doing kind of a Thomian analysis; but to do that you need to list the very best
arguments before challenging them. Otherwise you fall into the trap of
making "paper tiger" arguments, as I fear you have here. The
two objections you answer are by no means the strongest arguments for the
position you want to challenge.
I think that to come at it correctly, you have to get a clear
idea of where wealth comes from. This will help with questions of justice
about who is entitled to possess and use wealth. Also it will help with
questions about best results. Actually, I'd like to read something from
you in answer to that question: Where do you believe wealth comes from?
It would give us a good basis, I think, for further discussion.
Also let me voice a concern about what you wrote comparing
India's poor with ours. To make such an argument, you'd need to quote
some objective studies, telling how you measure happiness of one vs another
group of poor people. But also beware of the similarity of that argument
to a pre-Civil War justification of the position of slave families:
"Those pickaninny kids are happier than we are on a winter night,
all packed together in bed in their little cabin. And they sing and dance all
day!"
It's a fact that studies have shown that in most societies, at
most levels, there's little correlation between happiness and income level.
(except for those living below absolute survival level--say $500 a year per
person) Should be obvious to us: if income correlated to happiness, then
the richest would have little divorce, alcoholism, mental illness, etc.
But if that's so, then why do some feel a duty to redistribute income by
force?
We can get clearer answers to that after we find a good answer
to the question I gave above: Where does wealth come from? (Also
what is it?) In addition, we might ask What is happiness? And where does
it come from--what precedes and produces it?
Ready to go?
Jack
No comments:
Post a Comment